Monday, August 3, 2009

Martha wanna-be

So, I know its been a long time since I've been disciplined enough to collect my thoughts and put them into words on this blog. I guess nothing that exciting has been happening. Oh there was that one thing....
We got married! Well at least in Guatemala. It was a beautiful service thanks to our wonderful family and friends who were so sweet and gracious to make this nice for us. My mom and step-dad got to be there, and we proved that smiles and love are a universal language.

While in Guatemala I got a job! WOO HOO! Rachel Castlen-Estrada helped me find it. I will be a teacher at an American style school, with 90% Korean students, in Guatemala. Go figure....I got to substitute for about a week while I was there. I think its going to be a great fit and never leave me lacking interesting stories to tell people back home. We also found and apartment! We'll be living in the same building as Rachel and her husband Jose (another JBU alum). Here's a pic of the apartment and our view.
I am going to love living closer to the equator....

Our first home...awwwww :P.


I came back to the States July 3rd. Just in time for my last 4th of July in the good ol USofA. Since then I've been up to my eyeballs in wedding planning and life stuff, getting ready to move to Guatemala. I've been enjoying spending time with my family and just relaxing.

I've also become mildly obsessed with the idea of DIY. I'm reading lots of blogs and itching to get to Guatemala where I can decoupage and refinish furniture to my heart's content. As of yet I've taken on various sewing projects. See below....
This was my first of many tote bags and a coin purse.

This is a closeup of the coin purse. I love this vintage fabric. This was almost my first attempt at using a zipper. Not perfect, but ok for my first shot.

More totes...

My next challenge is going to be dressing my new nest. I'm taking on making a bunch of curtains for our apartment. This is the fabric I got today to do that

Check back soon for the finished products.




4 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! Great job... you mak me want to go out and get some fabric and start sewing! glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on those totes! It sounds like you've got some very interesting stories - keep blogging and do share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such cute bags!! I hope you have a fabulous day!!! hugs!! Britt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely personal gift with so much thought put into them. They will treasure them I'm sure. Great idea and great job!! Annnd ... congratulations on your wedding. Many happy blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete